Re: Project to standardize on IOPS per CPU core

On 9/20/22 14:08, Stephen Bates wrote:
Hi fio'ers

I have been working with a few others on NVMe performance in a range
of different environments. At the same time I have been tracking some
of the reports on IOPS per core for NVMe+io_uring [1][2]. I was hoping
to create a standrd and repeatable test for this using a mix of
packer, Ansible and AWS machines.

The idea would be a scriptable flow to obtain a working
fio+libiouring+kernel on some AWS EC2 instance(s) and then automate
some tests to obtain IOPS per CPU core.

To help me get started on this does anyone have any pointers on how
best to configure the system to maximize this metric? Also any fio
scripts for this that people can point me too would be excellent.

If there is interest I would happily work this into a patch for fio
(perhaps in some sort of CI way).

Cheers

Stephen Bates, PhD.

[1]: https://www.phoronix.com/news/7.4M-IOPS-Linux-Per-Core
[2]: https://twitter.com/axboe/status/1452689372395053062?lang=en

Stephen, t/one-core-peak.sh was added last year by Erwan Velu and might be useful to you:

https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/master/t/one-core-peak.sh

Vincent