Logging and its significant impacts on performance

I had switched to doing per_unit (every sample) logging recently in
order to work around some issues I was hitting with using
--log_avg_msec.

After looking at my results, I could see a significant decrease in
maximum and average bandwidth during runs. So I started playing with
disabling other aspects of logging and was really surprised by the
effect, running a 60 second random write test after an nvme format and
10 minutes of idle. I repeated the experiment many times to make sure
it wasn't just noise.

With a 970 Evo 1TB, I saw the following results:
--log_avg_msec=100, all latency/latency percentile options disabled:
max bandwidth 1.04GB/s, avg for run 0.99GB/s
--log_avg_msec=100, all latency/latency percentile options enabled:
max bandwidth 1.00GB/s, avg for run 0.94GB/s
no log_avg_msec, all latency/latency percentile options enabled:
max bandwidth 0.95GB/s, avg for run 0.91GB/s

Between the best and worst performance is on the order of 100MB/s of
bandwidth. Is this surprising at all, or expected with fio?