Re: Using FIO on systems with <=512MB RAM

On Tue, 2022-02-22 at 08:41 +0900, Damien Le Moal wrote:
> On 2/21/22 23:40, Philippe Schenker wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > We use FIO to check the eMMC storage on our embedded boards. This
> > works
> > great for our modules that have >= 1GB RAM but on all lower-memory
> > ones
> > (<= 512MB) the OOM killer always kills FIO.
> >
> > I can hook up a swap which helps but is just painfully slow.
>
> Well yes, your system will be trashing...
>

> > I played with the settings mem, bs, iodepth and size but cannot
> > achieve
> > a configuration that works on low-memory embedded systems.
> >
> > Can anyone guide me how I can make this work?
>
> See if playing with option "--alloc-size=" helps. You can also reduce
> the maximum number of jobs with "--max-jobs=". Also try using threads
> instead of (default) processes for jobs (--thread option). And of
> course
> make sure that the total amount of IO buffers you need (num jobs * io
> depth per job * bs) is not too large for your RAM size.

Thank you very much for your help on this topic. I tried those
parameters back and forth, however it seems to always reserve ~400MB on
the biggest chunk (checked in /proc/<pid-of-fio>/smaps).

decreasing the max allowed shared memory in /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax to
~64M does solve our issue and fio works also on 256MB ram.

However this leads to the question if this is not a bug? I mean it seems
to reserve this memory despite it's not needing it?
What leads me to this assumption is that I can also set mem=malloc
instead of mem=shm and I get still the same error.

We use fio 3.17 is this maybe solved in newer versions?

Best Regards,
Philippe