Can we build fio 3.29 without system zlib dependency?

Any prev version supports building without system zlib dependency
But the latest version breaks that behavior
Is it made on purpose?

I'm maintaining fio GUI and I built precompiled portable fio binaries for a range of OS and architectures. All the binaries, I built, are compiled without system gzip dependency for portability. I would like to have new versions of fio that can work without unnecessary dependency such as system's zlib

How to reproduce on debian/ubuntu:

apt purge zlib1g-dev

./configure # reports zlib no
make # fails

t/dedupe.c:27:10: fatal error: zlib.h: No such file or directory
   27 | #include "zlib.h"