FIO Dependency on LBA format in Linux

I am trying to determine if FIO in Linux is dependent on the drive lba format (sector size + Protection Information size).  I have not found any references to this in the FIO code but not totally sure where to look either.  My thoughts on this is that the device driver for the particular drive (nvme driver in my particular case) or the block layer would handle this and isolate FIO from any dependencies but would like to confirm it.  If anyone could either confirm this or explain any FIO dependencies, that would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks

Jeff Lien
eSSD Core SW Tools & Drivers

Western Digital
2900 37th St NW