Re: Control % of compressible write workload

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 at 03:38, Michele Pardini <michele.pardini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to test a storage device adjusting the % of the write workload
> that can be compressed. I've learnt how to use
>
> buffer_compress_percentage=70
> refill_buffers
> buffer_pattern
>
> When you set  buffer_compress_percentage to a job, or to global, then
> 100% of the write workload will be compressed (at 70% rate ,in this
> example) .
>
> What I'd like to understand is if there's a way to tune the % of the
> write workload that will be compressed. Ideally FIO should send 70%
> writes compressible (at 10% compress rate) and 30% not compressible
> (or 0% compress rate)
>
> I could create 7 jobs with  buffer_compress_percentage and 3 jobs
> without, but I need to have the 70/30 ratio in a single job/thread.

You could do this with two jobs where one job was writes compressed at
10% and another job was uncompressed writes and then use flow
(https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-flow
) to balance them against each other in a 7:3 ratio. You would have to
modify the source code of fio if you want to do it in a single job -
feel free to submit a patch if you can provide it as an option that
fits well with the rest of fio!

--
Sitsofe