Re: Writing/reading OD, MD, ID of a disk

Hi,

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 at 13:40, siha lawrence <sihaj33@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What parameters could we use to write/read OD, MD, ID of a disk or
> specific LBAs?
>
> Thanks,
> Siha

It seems like OD (Outer Disk), MD (Middle Disk) and ID (Inner Disk)
are SMR drive terms. I don't know how you explicitly target those...
maybe someone more familiar with SMR would know? (I've CC'd Dmitry in
case they know).

If you want to write a specific LBA you will have to get as close to
the disk as possible. If we're talking Linux you can access the disk's
raw block device (filename=/dev/<dev>), use direct=1, set blocksize to
the underlying block size and then you could play back a hand crafted
iolog (https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-read-iolog
/ https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#trace-file-format-v2
) where the offset would correspond to the LBA.

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/