Inconsistent Status Intervals

An issue with fio version 3.20 was reported to me by our performance team where the status intervals for the iops and bw values gradually increase over the run time of the job.  Eventually, the delta gets large enough that it causes issues with the python script that formats and summarizes the fio output.  I included an example of the output at the bottom of this email.

I found this commit from Bart in version 3.18 that introduces the status interval variability:
https://github.com/axboe/fio/commit/31eca641ad91634e5ffcf369cd756b0506a700c1
And then this commit from Vincent that makes it better but doesn't completely resolve the issue:
https://github.com/axboe/fio/commit/0f77d30d90b809fbf233b9474cc5d17c6bf73541

I looked at both of these patches but am not familiar enough with the fio code to know how best to resolve the issue.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be done to make the status intervals consistent?

Example BW log

 Version 3.15 Output
1000, 802924, 1, 0
2000, 801532, 1, 0