Re: [io_uring] Problems using io_uring engine

On 5/26/20 7:57 AM, Hamilton Tobon Mosquera wrote:
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> This is how I'm making sure that it is polling. The workloads take 2
> minutes, I'm checking the interrupts registered in /proc/interrupts for
> the nvme device (the Intel Optane) when the workload starts and when the
> workload ends. The interrupts count is almost zero, about 25 or so,
> while when using an interrupt based engine I get about 600K interrupts.
>
> Also, the way I'm loading the nvme driver is:
>
> modprobe nvme poll_queues=4
>
> As you said I'm using 4 polling queues because I only have 4 physical
> cores. To check that they were actually created I use:
>
> systool -vm nvme
>
> Which shows that effectively there are 4 polling queues created.
>
> I also checked the file /sys/block/nvme0n1/queue/io_poll and it is set
> to 1. Sometimes I change the file /sys/block/nvme0n1/queue/io_poll_delay
> to switch between hybrid and normal polling and it shows differences in
> the CPU usage, the latencies, IOPS, ...
>
> Another way is by checking the CPU usage, which says that the CPU is
> almost completely occupied when polling.
>
> Also, I tried with dmesg as you suggested and this is the output:
>
> [627676.640431] nvme nvme0: 4/0/4 default/read/poll queues
>
> I guess that shows that I was effectively using polling in the
> workloads. What is weird is that when I don't use the flag HIPRI it runs
> ok but using interrupts not polling. It might be important to say that
> I'm always running with root user.
>
> Does this information give you more hints about the problem?. Could you
> please tell me in what filesystem polling is known to work 100% of the
> time?.
>
> Thank you for your help.

You did the right thing on the NVMe side, I'm guessing then that it's
ext4 again. What kernel are you using? I think only 5.7 and newer
supports polling on ext4, you'll have better luck with XFS.

And btw, please don't top-post. Reply with proper quoting, top
posting totally messes up the flow of conversation.

--
Jens Axboe