RE: CPUs, threads, and speed

When you say preload, do you just want to write in the full capacity of the drive?  A sequential workload with larger blocks will be faster, like:

[global]
ioengine=libaio
thread=1
direct=1
bs=128k
rw=write
numjobs=1
iodepth=128
size=100%
loops=2
[job00]
filename=/dev/nvme0n1

Or if you have a use case where you specifically want to write it in with 4K blocks, you could probably increase your queue depth way beyond 4 and see improvement in performance, and you probably don't want to specify norandommap if you're trying to hit every block on the device.

-Joe