RE: 4KiB + 64 B formatted drive : Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character: write offset=4096, buflen=4096

> Also if its REF tag error, shouldn't I have seen the same issue with
> 4K+ 8B meta data? fio works fine with 4K+8 format.

When PI was originally added to SCSI, the only PI size defined was
8 bytes. I don't know if the kernel supports 64 bytes, and what
it puts there if it does.

It's possible that reading a block before it's been written
could trigger PI errors, since the PI content is uninitialized.
I don't think fio ever does that (even with a verify thread)
- the --debug=io option will show all the IOs that it
generates. Check if the kernel log reports problems while
running some other application (e.g., dd).

What are all those reads to LBA 3750748672? Something is looking
for partition tables?

You're using direct=1 so the page cache shouldn't be doing
prefetching.