Re: How to cancel job

On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 at 20:51, Elliott Balsley <elliott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks, I had not noticed the D state.  I learn something every day.
> I am indeed using NFS hard mount, but when this issue happens there is
> no problem with the mount itself.  Other apps can read/write just
> fine.  So maybe this could be improved by making fio do interruptible
> sleep?  Usually this happens when I accidentally start a job with a
> size much higher than I intended.

(Sorry for the late reply) It's not fio's choice - it's the kernel's.
Fio is doing I/O down to a file (maybe just that file is causing the
NFS server heartache?) and the kernel chooses whether doing that I/O
makes the task (hopefully temporarily) uninterruptible. Your other
tasks might not be doing enough NFS I/O to get caught out (presumably
the queue of I/O is backing up) and/or you don't spot them hanging
because you're not actively killing them.

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/