Re: How does FIO know size of a partition?

Hi,

On Thu, 23 May 2019 at 05:44, Left Right <olegsivokon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello list!
>
> We are working on testing pmem library backed up by a partition on a
> device, and there seems to be a discrepancy between how we / pmem /
> FIO understand the size of the of partitions.
>
> Could anyone, please, shed a light on how this is done?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Oleg

This depends on the ioengine. If you mean the pmemblk ioengine, the
code to do it is done by the ioengine's get_file_size callback
"fio_pmemblk_get_file_size()"
(https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/de5ed0e4d398bc9d4576f9b2b82d7686989c27e1/engines/pmemblk.c#L319
). If you mean a traditional file based ioengine (e.g. psync, libaio)
then it's handled by calls done from get_file_size() in filesetup.c
(https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/afc22c98609ee80a99fbed24231181bdab2bc659/filesetup.c#L423
) e.g. for block device there's an eventual call down into the
platform specific blockdev_size() (here's a link to where
blockdev_size is defined for Linux
https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/de5ed0e4d398bc9d4576f9b2b82d7686989c27e1/os/os-linux.h#L153
).

--