Re: help constructing job file

Hi!

On 27 March 2018 at 00:58, Vincent McIntyre <vincent.mcintyre@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> (newbie alert)
>
> I am struggling with how to model a particular workload:
>  - there are two groups of processes (8 writers and 8 readers),
>    that run concurrently, writing to a single RAID unit
>
>  - each of the writers
>    - opens 36 files
>    - appends to the files in 1M chunks until they reach 100G

Perhaps you want to set bs=1M ?

>    - closes those files and opens a new set

This might be tricky. You can control the number of files open
simultaneously but I don't think a single job can change the set of
files it works over. You would have to have a job that waits for an
earlier one to finish and works with a different set of files.

>  - each of the readers
>    - reads a group of 36 contemporaneous files from beginning to end
>    - moves on to the next group

See above.

> My goal is not to maximise numbers from fio tests but rather
> to model the system and how it is likely to scale up or down.
> In particular I want to observe the system behaviour over an
> extended period (up to 24h) with readers & writers hammering away.
>
> Below is my initial sketch which isn't right; in my tests (with
> smaller filesize, numjobs, nrfiles) it runs the file layout fine
> but I never seem to get a prolonged period of read operations
> in parallel with writes.
>
> [global]
> direct=0
> fsync=0
> bs=4k
> size=1M

I'm not sure this is right. Perhaps size=100g bs=1M ?

> ioengine=posixaio

If you're on Linux you might find libaio is faster. Also note you
don't have direct=1 so your kernel is allowed to do caching.

> rwmixread=50
> rwmixwrite=50

All jobs will be doing both reads AND writes. Is this what you really want?

> group_reporting=1
> per_job_logs=0
> filesize=100G
> file_append=1

Did you want files to be reset before being grown (e.g. if the file
already with 100G of size do you want it to grow to 200G)?

> invalidate=1

invalidate is 1 by default.

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/