Re: random_generator=lfsr overhead with more disks?

On 3/16/18 12:45 PM, Jeff Furlong wrote:
> A few comments:
>
> -How does the cpu utilization look compared between the lfsr and
> default tausworthe generators?  Is the cpu util actually higher on
> lfsr?  If it is near saturated on 16 devices, then naturally
> throughput would decrease.

The LFSR generator is constant overhead, and it should not degrade as
more jobs are using it. There's no shared state at all.

If I were to guess, then the identical offsets of the jobs is probably a
likely clue, since that is the only real difference between the two
random generators. Are these 16 volumes all completely separate?

Finally, you are having 8 jobs all accessing the same 16 devices. You'll
likely get more consistent performance if you split things up a bit by
having 4 jobs, each doing IO to just two of the disks. This shouldn't
really be impacted by the random generator, but your current setup is
prone to performance fluctuations.

--
Jens Axboe