Re: ZBC/FLEX FIO addition ideas

On 15 March 2018 at 16:15, Kris Davis <Kris.Davis@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Despite the desire to have fio work with Host Managed devices independent of the engine, a Host Managed device operation is different than a traditional block device, and the kernel also has to manage it differently. Thus, I would still recommend creating a new IO engine for use with Host Managed devices, we would not want the additional overhead associated with SMR to impact the standard aio engine.  We have mostly used the fio SG engine along with external operations in testing of SMR.
>
> Here is the way we envision a new fio engine might work with Host Managed devices:

It's definitely going to need something special. I think last time
round (https://www.spinics.net/lists/fio/msg06646.html ) I suggested a
profile but perhaps that won't be enough. I doubt an ioengine would be
enough because you're going to have interact with the next offset code
etc. unless you're going to fake I/Os done to "wrong" regions...

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/