Re: Possible bug in client/server mode - spurious lines leaking into logfile fio-3.3-39-g9025

Hi,

On 7 February 2018 at 16:42, Tim Watts <tim.j.watts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The hostname=vmhost-21 is being generated on the fio server instance by
> client.c lines 1416-1418, a log_info() statement
>
> The other stuff looks like it is the result of the server instance
> defaulting output_format to FIO_OUTPUT_NORMAL - and there's no option like
> "--output_format=none" to be able to give to the server
>
> At the end of the email is a hacky patch that "fixes" the problem - but
> almost certainly, it's not done right.
>

> The invocations were:
>
> (Server)
> fio --server
>
> (Client)
> fio --output=/test/logs/a.log --output-format=json --client=vmhost-21
> /test/fio/a.fio
>

> Before guessing if this is a bug or a user error, I thought I'd send it here
> for your comment :)

Looks like bugs to me:

The client doesn't send the server the output-format it's currently
using (bug 1, might be tricky to fix unless you take a big hammer
style approach) and the "hostname=..." output should be suppressed
when not using normal output (bug 2, easily solved with an if (not
normal output)).

Curiously, if you launch the server with --output-format=json some of
the output is suppressed (bug 3?)...

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/