Re: LBA selection in FIO

Hi Gnana,

On 3 January 2018 at 17:47, Gnana Sekhar <kgsgnana2020@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Basically I am looking to see if FIO has the below option
> 1. Pass the LBA count as an argument. From your explanation my
> understanding is currently FIO doesn't have that option

Well I'm still unsure what LBA count means in this context. If my
blocks are 512 bytes big and I want a single write to cover LBA 0 - 3
then isn't the blocksize of 4k controlling the LBA count? Sorry to
keep asking I just don't understand the request.

> 2. On the buffer pattern I wasn't able to specify the buffer pattern
> to be all 0(zero) but --buffer_pattern=1 works fine. Do I have to use
> zero_buffers to fill buffers with zero and not buffer_pattern

Hmm! 0 is going to be interpreted as "this option is unset". Does 0x0 work?

> For option1, if I cant pass LBA count, my plan is to
> get LBA size of the drive,
> multiply the LBA size with lba count which will give me the size in bytes
> pass the size with --size=x b  where x is the size obtained in above step

Are you trying to do I/O "on the spot" (e.g. only do I/O to the exact
same region for the whole job)? If so you can

* Use offset (http://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-offset
) and size (http://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-size
) to limit the region you do I/O within
* Have blocksize use a value of <x> and the rw=read:<-x>
* Use rw_sequencer=identical and rw=read:<highnumberhere>
(http://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-rw-sequencer
)

?

--