Re: fio 3.2

On 1 December 2017 at 07:15, Robert Elliott (Persistent Memory)
<elliott@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> While discussing NUMA, I'll mention something else I saw in Windows
> while fixing the thread affinities there.
>
> At startup, fio spawns threads on all CPUs to measure the clocks
> (fio_monotonic_clocktest).  If you've constrained the CPU affinity
> outside fio, some of those will fail.  In Windows, something like
> START /AFFINITY 0x55555555 fio ...
> can cause half of the clock threads to fail.

This is very weird and doesn't make any sense (but I believe you): if
you have multiple threads crammed on to the same CPUs the TSC no
longer looks like it monotonically increases? Surely it should be MORE
likely to increase because a thread is likely to be on the same CPU as
another and can't actually be running at the same time as the other?

Something suspicious is going on - to this day I'm still unsure as to
why https://github.com/sitsofe/fio/commit/1a7a1fd98ad749768212f49f5ba3e9a1392c4263
would sometimes fail on Windows (but seemingly not on Linux)...

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/