Re: [ceph-users] Poor libRBD write performance

I suspect you are seeing this issue [1]. TL;DR: never use "numjobs" >
1 against an RBD image that has the exclusive-lock feature enabled.

[1] http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2016-August/012123.html

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Moreno, Orlando
<orlando.moreno@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I’ve been experiencing weird performance behavior when using FIO RBD engine
> directly to an RBD volume with numjobs > 1. For a 4KB random write test at
> 32 QD and 1 numjob, I can get about 40K IOPS, but when I increase the
> numjobs to 4, it plummets to 2800 IOPS. I tried running the same exact test
> on a VM using FIO libaio targeting a block device (volume) attached through
> QEMU/RBD and I get ~35K-40K IOPS in both situations. In all cases, CPU was
> not fully utilized and there were no signs of any hardware bottlenecks. I
> did not disable any RBD features and most of the Ceph parameters are default
> (besides auth, debug, pool size, etc).
>

> My Ceph cluster is running on 6 nodes, all-NVMe, 22-core, 376GB mem,
> Luminous 12.2.1, Ubuntu 16.04, and clients running FIO job/VM on similar
> HW/SW spec. The VM has 16 vCPU, 64GB mem, and the root disk is locally
> stored while the persistent disk comes from an RBD volume serviced by the
> Ceph cluster.
>

> If anyone has seen this issue or have any suggestions please let me know.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Orlando

Jason