Re: Optimizing mmap_queue on AVX/AVX2 CPUs

On 8/30/2017 2:57 PM, Elliott, Robert (Persistent Memory) wrote:
There's even a new patch set to use the Intel QuickData DMA engines
for transfers rather than the CPU (a "blkmq" pmem driver).  It'd be
interesting if fio could use that hardware too (with direct access by
fio, not resorting to kernel read()/write() calls).

I build the example performance tester program from Intel that compares memcpy with QuickData for various buffer and block sizes, and the best result was QuickData being the same speed as memcpy; otherwise, QuickData was between a tenth and half the speed. Given that, I'm planning to focus on just adding SSE (not sure about this one yet, since all x86_64 systems support it, so memcpy should be using it already), AVX, AVX-512 and A64 Advanced SIMD (for ARM64) to FIO.

--
Rebecca