Re: missing waitpid() and server functionality at Windows

I've only just noticed this slipped by without reply - sorry this took so long!

On 9 February 2016 at 22:27, Michal Šmucr <msmucr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> previously I've used fio mainly at Linux and OS X, so I didn't have any
> issues with fio in server mode. Now I'm trying to simulate workload to
> shared storage for Windows clients and this functionality with remote
> control of fio instances running at Windows machines will be very handy.
> Unfortunately it isn't possible to use it that way, because of missing
> waitpid() syscall implementation and forking in MinGw builds for Windows.
>
> I've stumbled upon at some messages posted 2y ago, where Bruce explained it.
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/fio/msg02565.html
>
> I don't know, if I got it correctly, but can be a build with Cygwin
> toolchain possible workaround for this issue?
> I've tried to compile current fio with Cygwin (so no MinGw toolchain) and
> compiler variables override, but failed badly.. It doesn't even pass through
> crc/test.c with lot of messed definitions. Is it currently possible to build
> with it or MinGW is currently only way for Windows compilation of fio?

Even at the time of writing fio does not build in a "full" Cygwin
environment. It actually tries to be a native Windows program (hence
MinGW) so it can access native Windows calls (rather than Cygwin ones)
and not carry the Cygwin portability library. I suppose someone could
undertake such a port but it would be nicer if server mode could be
made to work with threads (but that's also new work someone would have
to perform).

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/