Re: unit testing for fio?

On 2 June 2017 at 20:30, Brantley West <cbwest@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm looking to adopt fio for some storage testing in the near future
> and have noticed a few issues (#377, #378) that seem to be
> math-related.  Assuming these issues get fixed, it seems like unit
> testing would help ensure they stay fixed.  Additionally, fio has a
> lot of useful configuration options, and unit tests seem like a good
> way to test for expected operation when multiple configuration
> parameters are present.
>
> Is a unit test framework something that is worth considering for fio?
> If so, are there any preferences?  It seems there are multiple options
> (check, cunit, unity, etc).

I think it would be useful if there was an explicit make selftest
target for fio which could do more rigorous checks than my "does it
run?" make test. fio has the odd adhoc test (e.g.
https://github.com/axboe/fio/tree/master/unit_tests ) and now I look I
spy the odd test for checking certain job files for regressions too
(see https://github.com/axboe/fio/tree/master/t/jobs ). It would be
nice to run these and more via CI (travis/appveyor) on commit though
(assuming they finish quickly)...

Some pieces of fio have been broken out into standalone programs (see
some of them in https://github.com/axboe/fio/tree/master/t/ ) which
might make testing for correctness easier. Perhaps Tomohiro Kusumi
(who has made pieces of fio more standalone) will be able to make
suggestions?

Personally I've used cunit (via the libiscsi project) but I've never
compared all C unit test frameworks. Further, the fio build doesn't
seem to add many dependencies on other libraries (other than for I/O
engines)...

Way back in 2008 there was a proposal to add a "make check" to fio
(http://maillist.kernel.dk/fio-devel/0584.html ) which looked like it
was readily accepted but it's unclear whether something was actually
produced...

If you've got any pre-existing checks please post/link them!

PS: Do you find fio useful at Nutanix and are there any other public
I/O exercisers you folks use?

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/