Re: ZFS Testing Methodology

On 12 May 2017 at 18:45, Spencer Hayes <spencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We're attempting to run some performance tests on a Solaris 11.2
> system with ZFS. The system has a sizable amount of memory which is
> currently more than the available space left in ZFS. Given that ZFS
> does not provide for direct IO, we're looking for options on how to
> exhaust the caching and actually test the throughput of the underlying
> disks.

If you're doing writes you can wait for synchronisation on stable
media either at the end of periodically by using the sync / fsync
options. For reads... well I guess you can start from an empty cache
by unmounting/remounting the filesystem before starting your tests?
I'm not sure you want to test a filesystem for non-cached I/O
performance unless your application is going to somehow depend on it
though.

> I've looked through several of the fio options but so far have not
> been able to find a mix that would let us do more total IO than is
> actually used as space on disk. The idea we had was to lay down say a
> 100GB file, but do 200-300GB of actual IO within that single (or
> multiple) file(s).

You probably want to use size with offset and io_size/loops (see
http://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-size ,
http://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-offset
, http://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-io-size
, http://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-loops
)

> Does anyone have experience perf testing ZFS and might have some
> suggestions to tackle this scenario?

You might get some good suggestions on a Solaris related ZFS mailing
list - https://illumos.topicbox.com/groups/zfs/discussions .

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/