Re: Fio Checksum tracking and enhanced trim workloads

For some reason Paul's emails don't seem to be going to the list -
Paul are you using a non-gmail SMTP server but using a gmail address?

On 9 May 2017 at 02:51, paul houlihan <phoulihan9@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Let me know if the changes are not accessible. I am new to github and not
> sure I am doing it right. They are reviewable for me using the
> aforementioned link..

I've posted some comments up on Github. Are they visible to you? I
think the key thing is it would help if the commit was to be split up
into smaller commits...

> I can look at Sitsofe overlapping changes but I don't have a lot of time for
> major rework. What is here works fairly robustly, is quite useful and that
> is what I am offering. Although I realize that there is huge number of fio
> arguments and there might still be contradictions I don't use. I can rework
> it a bit if there are small issues to tackle.
>
> I have not spent a lot of time using bsrange. I am usually interested in
> stressing specific block sizes. I think it will all just work as long as no
> overlapping I/O results.

Sadly overlapping I/O often turns up with random block sizes.

>> Are you sure? I thought readwrite verifying workloads caused the reads
>> to be verifying if the block had been written in the same workload?
>
> Yes for read/write workload, all writes do result in a read verification.
> However that still leaves unverified those blocks that were only read and
> never written in this workload. That's not acceptable if your requirement is
> absolute data integrity guarantees. My goal was that all reads (and for that
> matter trims) in all workloads be verified including those blocks written by
> a prior fio job or even a prior fio run on a different virtual machine. The
> current fio verifies all read blocks only for read-only workloads where it
> assumes a prior job has initialized the blocks.

>> Many would find this useful. Perhaps it could be ported to C like
>> t/verify-state.c ?
> Yes I wish I had done it in C and there would be no extra dependency on
> python for troubleshooting. Also the C could use the definition in verify.h
> in case the header ever changes. However python is ubiquitous so it seems a
> minor dependency. I could consider this if the list of requested changes is
> doable.

OK.

>> How does this interact with verify_state_*
> Again something I have not stress. Bear in mind that if fio aborts on an
> error the verify log is not created as this can lead to false corruption
> detection. Note control-c is a normal exit and the tracking log is preserved
> in this case. However it should just work if the tracking log is preserved.
> I thought about tracking checksums within verify state but it was not easily
> extended to track all checksums for all blocks.

Fair enough.

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/