Re: Running fio with buffer_compress_percentage=0 and scramble_buffers=1 produces high-dedupe data

Hi,

On 26 April 2017 at 21:19, Bryan Gurney <bgurney@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I performed some tests for various non-zero values of
> "buffer_compress_percentage", and the resulting data was not dedupable
> (which would be consistent with the behavior of "scramble_buffers=1", but
> the data pattern seems to suggest that the algorithm used in
> scramble_buffers is not being used.  Comparing this to when
> buffer_compress_percentage is set to zero, the resulting data is almost
> incompressible, but exhibits a high frequency of dedupe.  This is despite
> the intentions of the user's configuration for buffer data content of 0%
> compression, and scrambled to avoid dedupe.

http://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-buffer-compress-percentage
alludes to buffer_compress_percentage=0 actually turning the option
off rather than setting a compression ratio of 0%. Here's a link to
the code that would normally react to the option:
https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/fio-2.19/io_u.c#L2045 .

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/