Re: FIO mmap options dictate a minimum block size of 4096 bytes

Hi,

On 20 April 2017 at 15:03, kjaszczerski <kjaszczerski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm trying to run FIO on mmap engine on 4k socket and 4k channel. I'd like
> to use wrokload with blocksize parameter value less than 4k, is it possible
> ?

You didn't give an example jobfile, fio version, operating system
(which are really necessary to answer these types of questions) so the
following is going to be a lot of speculation.

I don't know if you also filed https://github.com/axboe/fio/issues/339
but there's a partial answer there (using direct=1 forces alignment
and size constraints). There's a follow up point which is the message
stems from a desire to catch msync related errors earlier:
https://github.com/axboe/fio/commit/913ea0db12596b735a030a1836bd913497b7120a
. I suppose a filesystem will never have a blocksize smaller than a
page and alignment constraints mean an msync must always start page
aligned (http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/msync.2.html ) so if you
have any type of fsync taking place that will trigger that check.

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/