How to simulate bursty I/O traffic with fio?

All,

I am trying to evaluate the behavior of some RAID controllers when faced
with “bursty” IOs. Typically in our storage performance testing we evaluate
controllers using a steady stream of I/Os by controlling the iodepth option
and leaving the rest of the IO depth and IO rate parameters undefined so
they take the defaults. The behavior I am trying to simulate is an
application sending multiple IOs at once, retrieve + processing time and
then submitting the next group of IOs. From the fio HOWTO document it looks
like the best way to do this is:

iodepth = (number of I/Os to send at once, i.e 32)

iodepth_batch_submit = 0 (submit the full set of iodepth IOs at once)

iodepth_batch_complete_min = 1

iodepth_batch_complete_max = iodepth (fio should try to retrieve at least a
single IO and up to the iodepth number of IOs)

iodepth_low = default (always fill the queue)

thinktime = number of milliseconds between each burst

thinktime_blocks = ? (This is where I was confused…do I set this to the
iodepth so it will burst all iodepth IOs before waiting thinktime
milliseconds? Or should this be set to 1 because I want the thinktime to
occur after a single batch of IOs?)

So I’m hoping the end behavior is along the lines of:

·         Send 32 IOs

·         Retrieve all 32 IOs

·         Wait 5 ms  (will it continue to wait if all IOs from the previous
batch have not been retrieved yet?)

·         Send the next 32 IOs, repeat

I did read the HOWTO  couple of times but just wanted clarification since I
haven’t used fio in this manner before and did not want to assume my
interpretation is correct. Jens indicated this is the best place to ask so
figured I would give it a shot. Thanks for the help in advance.

--

Jason Sirichoke

Performance Analyst

Datacenter Solutions Group (DCSG)