Re: fio output-format=json+ and latency histogram buckets ~1200

Abhishek,

For a good explanation of how fio histograms work:

https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/master/stat.h#L30

I really like the approach that allows you to trade off accuracy and latency range, where there is a potentially enormous latency range.  Bucket latency range doubles for successive bucket groups.  For buckets in each bucket group, latency range is fixed.

There is a compile-time limit on the number of buckets at present.  you can recompile fio and change FIO_IO_U_PLAT_GROUP_NR.  The limit of 16 seconds comes from this compile time limit.

Would be nice if row 1 of the histogram log contained the upper bound of each histogram bucket's latency range.  You can parse the histogram logs and generate latency percentiles as a function of time from them with fiologparser_hist.py.

HTH

-ben