RE: Can FIO replay a "blktrace/blkparse" command list in Windows?

Hi,

Just refreshing the original question in hopes of an answer...

Can FIO for Windows replay an output file from blktrace/blkparse?

I need the ability to replay cmds from bus traces with the same timing as found in a SAS/SATA bus trace.  This is in order to use FIO to mimic the original read/write cmd workload as closely as possible so that I can reproduce customer performance problems on the bench.  My goal is to create/synthesize a replay file that contains the cmds and the timing of the cmds and use FIO to replay it using read_iolog.  My experience is that I cannot accomplish my goal by using a standard iolog such as the following because the WAIT statement does not work as documented in the FIO user guide.  I have done several experiments trying to understand the behavior of the WAIT statement and it simply will not work to control the timing of the cmds in a way that will match the original timing found in the bus trace.  Therefore I need a different solution.

fio version 2 iolog
\.\PhysicalDrive0 add
\.\PhysicalDrive0 open
\.\PhysicalDrive0 read 603182858240 131072
\.\PhysicalDrive0 wait 1000 0
\.\PhysicalDrive0 read 7403516723200 131072
\.\PhysicalDrive0 wait 1000 0
\.\PhysicalDrive0 read 8432532848640 131072
\.\PhysicalDrive0 wait 1000 0
\.\PhysicalDrive0 write 4700536045568 131072
\.\PhysicalDrive0 wait 1000 0
\.\PhysicalDrive0 read 4019454869504 131072
\.\PhysicalDrive0 wait 1000 0
\.\PhysicalDrive0 read 8401981407232 131072
\.\PhysicalDrive0 read 3805264740352 131072
\.\PhysicalDrive0 read 3535500869632 131072
\.\PhysicalDrive0 close

>From reading the FIO User's Guide it appears that FIO will try to enforce the cmd timing of a replay file if it was created using the Linux "blktrace/blkparse" tools.  The output from blkparse contains records of cmds along with timestamps.  FIO apparently will use the timestamps of cmds to control the timing of when it will send an I/O.  This is exactly what I need.  However, blktrace/blkparse are Linux tools.  I need to be able to run the FIO replay on a Windows machine and I have not had success trying to use a blkparse output file as an iolog on Windows.

QUESTIONS:

	1.  Does FIO support using a blkparse output file as an iolog/replay file on FIO for Windows... or does this ONLY work on FIO for Linux?

	2.  If it does work on FIO for Windows, can you please send me a short example blkparse file so that I can study it and use it as a model (i.e. the format) for how I would synthesize a blkparse output to suit my needs?

Regards,
Greg

Greg Frees
Lead Performance Engineer