Re: client/server histograms

On 08/24/2016 11:32 AM, Karl Cronburg wrote:
What would be the best way to get an fio server to send the histogram
samples to a client? i.e.:

- Should I make a new FIO_NET_CMD or can I easily modify the existing
IOLOG one? Presently each sample has a pointer to a histogram array in
place of the sample value.

I'd probably reuse the existing IOLOG command, just with an appropriate
log type. You'd need to turn it into something that can be sent over the
network easily, of course.

- The histograms compress nicely (because sparseness), but should I be
compressing them immediately after compressing the time/direction/size
values of the sample? I tried doing it after all the io_sample structs
are compressed, but then samples in one pdu need the histogram values
in a not-yet-parsed pdu.

Might need to see the code you already have to help you with that one.

--
Jens Axboe