Re: fiologparser

On 07/14/2016 10:35 AM, Karl Cronburg wrote:
Hello all,

I have written a new version of fiologparser and could use some feedback
from anyone who uses the tool regularly. It is on branch fiologparser of my fork
of fio:

https://github.com/cronburg/fio/blob/fiologparser/tools/fiologparser.py

It uses numpy and cython to speed up the data parsing and percentile
calculations,
while decreasing the memory footprint and making it scalable.

I was really trying to avoid the extra dependencies. :/ That's why Ben's last commit was reworked so we could avoid adding numpy as a dependency in the fio distribution (not that fio itself would need it, but it would be really swell if none of the tools needed anything other than stock python).

How much improvement are you seeing and where is the speedup coming from? I suspect we can get similar gains without needing to bring it in. For now though I really think we need to worry about correctness rather than speed. As such, does this version use a similar technique as what's in wip-interval?

https://github.com/markhpc/fio/commits/wip-interval

If so, we should probably merge that first and make sure we have test cases for it to make sure the idea is sound. If this is something new, it would be good to showcase that it's as good or better than wip-interval. I could easily be convinced that it is, but let's demonstrate it.

Mark

-Karl Cronburg-