computing percentiles from fio data

Hello,

In benchmarking ceph I've been using fio / fiologparser, and want to
get out the sort of stats & percentiles fiologparser currently gives
(min, avg, max, percentiles). However I'm concerned the data coming
out of fio is insufficient when I pass it the log_avg_msec argument.
Namely using the average of a possibly asymmetric sample distribution
(the set of I/O request samples over which fio is averaging when I
pass it this argument) will not give accurate percentiles.

Something like this argument is necessary though to keep the log files
a reasonable size. Would it be a good idea to push the sort of
statistics done in the log parser directly into fio? I'm considering
writing some code to compute the quantiles directly in fio, either
brute-force by maintaining a sorted list or implementing something
like the algorithm described here:

http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~muthu/bquant.pdf

with some acceptable user-defined level of error given to fio when
asked to compute the percentiles on long-running / large data sets.

Is there any interest in having this added directly into fio? If so
where in the code should I be looking?

-Karl Cronburg-