Re: file_service_type and random_distribution

On 05/12/2016 07:59 PM, qingwei wei wrote:
Hi,

I am looking at performing some small files benchmark and i would like
to confirm few things here:

1) Random distribution, for file type test, is this only applicable to
how it choose offset in the file?

Yes

2) file_service_type, is this decide which file to be opened during
test if i choose to have openfiles less than nrfiles?

Yes

I would like to confirm those points is because i intend to run
workload test that simulate hot file access. At any one time, the
files open will be less than the total files in the system and there
will be files that are hot and get access multiple times. Can i do it
using fio? Thanks.

That's a good question. Currently fio doesn't, but there's no reason why it could not use the same distribution methods for choosing what files to service. That would indeed allow you to mimic some files being hotter than others, just like we do for offsets in that file.

--
Jens Axboe