Re: Potential Bug: Block size dropped in log files when running with log_avg_msec

On 05/12/2016 04:54 PM, Todd Lawall wrote:
Hello,

I've been doing some test runs with fio using the write_bw_log, write_lat_log and write_iops_log options, and I've needed to use the log_avg_msec option to set my sample interval.   I've noticed when running with log_avg_msec, the block size is dropped from the logs.  See examples of the BW log:

Without log_avg_msec:

13, 14833, 0, 32768
13, 14780, 1, 32768
13, 14780, 1, 32768
13, 15003, 0, 32768
13, 17702, 1, 32768
13, 17655, 1, 32768

With log_avg_msec:

500, 312320, 0, 0
1090, 343972, 0, 0
1090, 310784, 1, 0
2083, 329861, 0, 0
2083, 324756, 1, 0
3073, 285252, 0, 0
3073, 306290, 1, 0
4040, 320644, 0, 0

That is correct, fio will do that. I can add the block size, if it's consistent. The problem is if you are doing averaging for a multiple block size workload, then fio can't add it, as there would be no right answer. For a fixed size, it could though. I'll ensure that it does for that case.

--
Jens Axboe