Re: Fio high IOPS measurement mistake

Elliott, Robert (Persistent Memory) wrote on 03/02/2016 10:37 AM:

>>> You appear to be missing gtod_reduce
>>> (https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/fio-2.6/HOWTO#L1668 ) or
>>> gettimeofday cpu pinning. You also aren't using batching
>>> (https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/fio-2.6/HOWTO#L815 ).

>> Jobs	IOPS(M)	%user	%sys
>> 1	4.3	78	22
>> 2	7.6	67	33
>> 3	10.5	65	35
>> 4	7.7	61	38
>> 5	4.8	78	22
>> 6	4.7	83	17
>> 7	4.8	84	15
>
> Use cpus_allowed_policy=split to keep threads or processes
> from wandering across CPUs.

Tried, no help, which is easily explainable, because I'm always running num jobs < num
CPUs.

> If the system is NUMA, split the NVDIMMs based on that
> and use cpus_allowed to just have threads access local
> NVDIMMs.

No, it's single socket.

> As someone else mentioned, the random map overhead is
> noticeable, especially for large capacity devices.  Use
> norandommap and randrepeat=0.

Had done, see the job file in my message you didn't quote.

> There was a problem in 2014 requiring invalidate=0 for
> small capacities; I don't recall if that was fixed.
>
> If you're using the pmem driver, it is incapable of queuing
> (submissions are immediately completed), so iodepth is
> irrelevant.
>
> There are other system and OS settings to tune, like:
> * use the performance governor. The userspace governor
> spends a lot of time making acpi_os_write calls

Had done, see not quoted part of my e-mail.

> * turn off auditing (audit=0 on the kernel command line)
> * turn off C states

Tried too.

Overall, I appreciate your help, but again, question is not how to improve my results.
The question is how to _decrease fio overhead_ with libaio, see subject of this e-mail.
It's very different question.

Thanks,
Vlad