Re: Specify range and distribution of accesses

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:53 PM, Jeff Furlong <jeff.furlong@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm looking for a method to distribute access to certain ranges of a block device.  For example, the JESD219 workload (http://www.jedec.org/sites/default/files/docs/JESD219.pdf) specifies
>
> The workload shall be distributed across the SSD such that the following is achieved:
> 1) 50% of accesses to first 5% of user LBA space (LBA group a)
> 2) 30% of accesses to next 15% of user LBA space (LBA group b)
> 3) 20% of accesses to remainder of user LBA space (LBA group c)
>
> I do not currently see any fio options to allow such usage.  Perhaps if --size or --iosize is updated to allow ranges/distributions, it may be possible?
>
> The JESD219 workload also specifies a distribution of block sizes, which can already be accomplished in fio with --bssplit, such as --bssplit=4k/10:64k/50:32k/40.  Perhaps extending that usage to --size or --iosize may solve the issue?
>
> The above link for the JESD219 workload includes a vdbench script to produce the desired workload, but I'm hesitant to think that vdbench does something that fio cannot.  Has anyone been able to specify ranges and distributions of accesses in any other way?  Thanks.

To model skewed workloads, fio provides Zipf and Pareto offset
distributions, although neither solves exactly your problem. At the
same time, a specific feature you're looking for should be pretty
straightforward to add. You might want to add a new sub-option under
random_distribution to specify frequency/capacity percentage list,
similar to the 'bssplit' block size frequency option, and code it
following the example of the bssplit, with uniform distribution within
the range chosen based on the frequency table yielding the actual
offset.

Regards,
Andrey