GiB vs GB

Hey Aaron,

I was just stumpling over the page for FIO and was totally surprised how GiB and GB are used even denoting "Storage manufacturers like to use 10^3 or 1000 as a base ten unit instead, for obvious reasons.”.
As FIO is a great tool to get into the whole game of block IO it’s sad that beginners are confused by a wrong usage of SI standards and such (almost) "conspiracy theories”. Or did I get something wrong here?

Best,
Martin