Re: relationship of fio versus gfio

On 11/10/2015 03:25 AM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Am Montag, 9. November 2015, 15:01:04 CET schrieb Jens Axboe:
On 11/06/2015 01:54 AM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Hello Jens, hello fio community.

During package review of my new fio package my reviewer raised the
question of the relationship between gfio and fio. I already also
wondered about it before.

Can gfio be used on a system, without fio installed? My guess would be
yes: As fio could be running on another machine as a server.

That is correct.

Thanks. My sponsor Sven just uploaded the debian package to unstable.

Also currently I have it that gfio is linked against the same libraries as
fio. Is a complete fio engine included in gfio?

There was a plan to more cleanly separate them, as the client frontends
need not link with all the nitty gritty details as the backend. But the
amount of effort required to get that cleaner meant that it didn't
really happen. It's not difficult, it's just a lot of manual work in
establishing the code boundaries between the two.

I see.

I also wondered about doing some Qt Quick based frontend for fio, but never
got along starting it. Also it would be redoing work that is already done
(gfio).

That'd be great, though. gtk isn't very portable, one of the goals of the gui frontend was to have something that people on OSX/Windows could also use without having to resort to a command line.

--
Jens Axboe