Re: achieving a workload to get specific unique duplicate blocks

Thanks Eaton. One question thought. From the man page for refill_buffers:

"If this option is given, fio will refill the IO buffers on every
submit. The default is to only fill it at init time and reuse that
data. Only makes sense if zero_buffers isn't specified, naturally. If
data verification is enabled, refill_buffers is also automatically
enabled."

Every IO submitted will have a new pattern for repeated workloads?
using refill_buffers, i seem to get same pattern repeatedly. Is that
how it should be? i was under the impression that refill will use new
pattern every time.

# fio --filename=test_refill --readwrite=randwrite --size=1m
--refill_buffers --bs=256k --norandommap --name=refill
# for each in {0..3}; do dd if=test_refill bs=262144 count=1
skip=$each 2>/dev/null | md5sum; done
86c3e47e173a58ad93470fd8db856f8c  -
6fe5ce86d04522889c99809d6d97cb94  -
9113ce00f3781861afc41aaf6da32428  -
f0b575c40e9da23b524f585723cbea4e  -

# fio --filename=test_refill --readwrite=randwrite --size=1m
--refill_buffers --bs=256k --norandommap --name=refill
# for each in {0..3}; do dd if=test_refill bs=262144 count=1
skip=$each 2>/dev/null | md5sum; done
86c3e47e173a58ad93470fd8db856f8c  -
6fe5ce86d04522889c99809d6d97cb94  -
9113ce00f3781861afc41aaf6da32428  -