RE: Stonewalled ?

(sorry about top-posting here)

For things like this, I'd use an external script specifying all params on each command line, and not use a job file at all. Order of execution is guaranteed and there's no limit to the number of jobs. (When fio evaluates the job file it creates all the jobs, but then doesn't let them all start at once.)

z!
From: fio-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [fio-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of thoms [thoms@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:04 PM
To: fio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Stonewalled ?

Hi folks,

I'm running fio-2.2.5 on a Linux x86_64 platform.  This is the first
time I've had to create a job file with an extremely large number of job
sections within the same file (hundreds of jobs).  I need each job to
run sequentially and have included "stonewall" within each section.
When I execute the job file, I get this error:

  error: maximum number of jobs (2048) reached.

When I reduce the number of job sections in the file to under 200, the
job runs sequentially as expected.

My understanding of "stonewall" is that it should serialize the running
of each job within a file (or files).  The implication is that fio
shouldn't be evaluating a subsequent job section until after the current
job has fully completed.  But in this case, fio appears to be looking
ahead and ignoring the "stonewall" directive until it exhausts
resources. This behavior also occurs within the current git commit.

Is this a feature or a bug, and is there another way to tell fio to
execute each job sequentially (top to bottom) as it encounters them in
the file?

Thanks!