Re: SSD write latency lower than read latency

On 12/17/2014 03:14 AM, Erwan Velu wrote:

Le 15/12/2014 16:15, Jens Axboe a écrit :
Your guess is exactly right, that's what most flash based devices
(worth their salt) do. That's also why sync write latencies are mostly
independent of the type of nand used, whereas the read latency will
easily reflect that.
But here the runtime is very limited to 60. I can imagine that if we
push the runtime to a longer time, the cache will not be enough to hide
the real latency of the device. The cache is said to be 1GB by
disassembling the device, maybe if we push the devices with bigger
iodepth & a longer run, maybe we can show the performance of the NAND :
once the cache is getting new data faster than it can write, the cache
will be more occupied, if we can achieve at feeding it completely then
we are done. I had the case with a poor MLC (128GB) that had 500MB of
SLC cache. On some pattern I was hitting the MLC at 5MB/sec ...

Note that in theirs specs, the write latency (65µs) is very close to the
read latency (50 µs):
http://ark.intel.com/products/75679/Intel-SSD-DC-S3500-Series-160GB-2_5in-SATA-6Gbs-20nm-MLC

On the pdf
(http://www.intel.fr/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-dc-s3500-spec.pdf),
we also see in the QoS sheet, that writes are said to be slower than
reads (up to 10x with iodepth=32).

Yes, that's a given, there's a potentially huge difference between the single write sync latency (which can be shaved down to the cost of issue + irq + complete + wakeup), and eg write at steady state where you might have to delay/stall writes if GC can't keep up.

--
Jens Axboe