Re: Sequential Commands are essentially random when in mixed sequential/random workloads

On 12/14/2014 08:20 AM, Andrey Kuzmin wrote:
On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 1:53 AM, Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/12/2014 05:23 PM, Stephen Nichols wrote:
Hi all,

When using fio configuration below..

[global]
ioengine=libaio
direct=1
runtime=600
bs=32k
iodepth=8
rw=randrw
rwmixread=80
percentage_random=100,0

[drive1]
filename=/dev/sda

I am expecting to see 80% reads, 20% writes where all reads are random and all writes are sequential. I captured a bus trace of traffic to the disk and the bus trace reflected as much with one issue. The write commands are essentially random. Each write begins at a new random LBA. If 2 or more writes occur in a row, the LBA's are sequential based on the block size BUT I feel the heart of this feature would be to emulate a large file write during random access. With that in mind would it be possible for sequential reads or writes within mixed sequential/random workload to remember the last LBA accessed? In this scenario the writes would still only take up 20% of the workload but when a write did occur it should be the next sequential step from the last write.

Snippet from the bus trace for reference

Command                                           LBA
Read FPDMA Queued:                  19F3F818
Read FPDMA Queued:                  1CBE2740
Write FPDMA Queued:                 24E35198
Write FPDMA Queued:                 24E351A0
Read FPDMA Queued:                  115A9E10
Write FPDMA Queued:                 A3C1968
Read FPDMA Queued:                  20B89488
Write FPDMA Queued:                 336EE0D0
Write FPDMA Queued:                 336EE0D8

Let me know what you think, this feature may be working as intended but it seemed off to me.

Would be easy enough to fix, we just need to track last offset per data
direction. Does the attached work for you? Totally untested, will test
on Monday.

Looks like fixed.

Thanks for verifying, Andrey. After taking a second look, looks sane to me after all. Lucky punch!

Stephen, the fix has been committed, so if you just update to the latest git, it should hopefully work for you as well. Please report back when you have tested it.

--
Jens Axboe