Re: Fio 2.1.14 released

On 2014-11-11 18:11, Matthew Eaton wrote:
- Fio will exit a bit faster now, since the disk util thread and the
   helper thread were combined into one, and it'll be immediately torn
   down on exit. It had to wait around 250msecs before this change. You
   might have noticed this delay when doing ctrl-c on a workload.

I find this update interesting, as I have a script that calls fio
multiple times, one after the other.

Are there any options that would make fio start or exit faster?  For
example, if I used disk_util=0, would this help fio exit any faster?

It should all be as fast as it could be before. The issue fixed above is when we wanted the disk util thread to exit, we set a done flag and just waited for it to wakeup as, which it did a few times per second. Now we use regular condvars, so it'll wake and exit immediately. So disk_util=0 should not change more than a msec or so :-)

That said, if you do find things where it seems to start or stop slower than it should, let me know. But as far as I know, it's all properly driven now.

--
Jens Axboe