From: Jens Axboe [mailto:axboe@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:00 AM
To: Carino, Mario; fio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: fio on AIX - fallocate error

On 2014-04-09 20:52, Carino, Mario wrote:
> Hi.
> We're trying to run fio 2.1.7 on AIX 6 and we can't seem to eliminate these errors:
>
> fio: posix_fallocate fails: Invalid argument

This one you can ignore, or you can get rid of it by adding:

fallocate=none

to the job file.

> fio: pid=0, err=22/file:filesetup.c:418, func=invalidate_cache,
> error=Invalid argument

Fio should probably just ignore these flush-cache warnings and continue on, it's not really a fatal condition. I have attached a patch for you, can you apply that and give it a go?

> we always get one or the other. It doesn't matter too much what
> command we run, what options,  etc. We saw a web page which indicates
> that fio requires an Asynch IO package to be installed and running on
> AIX. Is that correct? We're
 > trying to find out if we have it installed on our test box.

You'd get a different error if that was your issue.

> (We're lowly non-root
 > DBA's so getting anything done requires a committee.)

Isn't that always the case with AIX? :-)

--
Jens Axboe