Re: Possible bug when setting compression

On 2014-03-14 16:26, Matthew Eaton wrote:
scramble_buffers tells fio to randomly insert some data in the buffer. It's
not a full overwrite or anything like that, just some basic garbage for each
512b to prevent naive compression/dedupe.

--
Jens Axboe

Thanks, that makes sense.  I guess my only concern is one might expect
that setting zero_buffers alone would provide fully compressible data,
not realizing that scramble_buffers is still adding some random data
unless explicitly turned off.

Maybe something that could be added to the man page / how to under
zero_buffers?  Something like...

"If you want a fully compressible workload, also set scramble_buffers=0."

Sure, we can add that to make it completely clear.

--
Jens Axboe