Re: precondition ssd drives w/ fio

On 10/03/2013 02:31 PM, Brian L. wrote:
For benchmarking SSD drives, I was told that we should precondition
our drives to get more accurate real world reading.

I was wondering if anyone is using fio itself to precondition ssd
drives or use a different script to populate random data on the
drives?

Thanks in advance.

Brian L.

fio is flexible enough that it can precondition with just about any shape of traffic you're willing to craft a job for. but what traffic
you believe is representative of your real world use case
is entirely up to you and can have dramatic affect on the garbage collection efficiency of the drive.

google "ssd preconditioning" and many of the flash manufacturers have
whitepapers on how/why you might choose to precondition your drives
before doing any benchmarking.