Large Seq Write interspersed with Small Rnd Read

Hi Jens & Group,

I've got an interesting one here and am wondering if there is a better
way to run this.

I'm trying to run a particular benchmark for HDD's and need to run
large sequential writes (1M) and intersperse it with small random
reads (4K).  I don't think I can run this within a single job, as even
though I could specify read/write mix (rwmixread) and specify
sequential/random mix (percentage_random), I am unable to guarantee
that the reads are in fact random.

So this is my jobfile (fio 2.1);

[global]
direct=1
ioengine=libaio
filename=/dev/sdb
runtime=30s

[Writes]
rw=write
bs=1M
iodepth=3
flow=-1

[Reads]
rw=randread
bs=4K
iodepth=2
flow=30

As you can see I'm using the flow= argument, and I think it is working
correctly, rough ratio of 1:30, or 3 percent reads.

One thing that I can't see and it would be good (and a way to prove
the randomness of the random reads) is a log file that contains both
writes and reads in the order they are processed. I can use the
write_iolog= argument, but if I place it in global it seems to record
all the writes close and reopen the file and then the reads so I am
unable to match up the actual sequence of writes/reads, is there an
argument that will do this that I'm missing?

Has anybody done anything similar to this to see the impact on large
sequential writes?  Or see a better way to run this?

Thanks,
Gavin