Simulating bursts at different rates at irregular intervals?

Hi. I'm new to fio and though I've read the HOWTO from the git repo several times now, I'm unsure if it is possible to achieve what I want;

I can simulate a mix of sequential and random writes for a duration at an average rate or throughput of say, 5.4MB/s.
I presume that fio will attempt to sustain that rate? My real question is this - is it possible in either the same job
or a different job in the same file to simulate bursts of higher rates? I.e. on average attempt to write at nMB/s but
at random or irregular intervals during this period attempt a 'burst' of 138MB/s for 5 minutes and then return to the 'normal' rate. Then again at some other point a burst of 57MB/s for 30minutes etc.

Is this possible? Presently I've found that I cannot do this. Or rather, thinking about it, I'd have to specify n jobs
for each different rate and then perhaps use 'ratecycle' and 'thinktime'? I can't see how to skew 'thinktime' randomly though?

Regards,

Jim Vanns

--
Jim Vanns