Re: How to re-use default sequential filenames?

Hello Alan,
    I don't have facts to back this up, but here are two things you might try:

1) Can you get away with naming your two jobs ([write] and [read]) the
same thing? E.g. [myjob]?

2) I think filename takes a colon seperated list optionally.  Have you
tried specifying:
filename=file1:file2:file3:...

In each of your jobs?

It seems possible that doing this for 20000 files might create a
problem with the length of the parameter...

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Alan Hagge <Alan.Hagge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to put together a test of the write and read speed to some new
> SAN storage.  Our workflow involves writing large numbers of 12 MiB files
> (on the order of 20,000 or so) at a time.  I'd like to set up a config file
> section that will write all 20,000 files then read all 20,000 files and
> report on the write performance and the read performance (separately).
>
> I've tried something like this:
>
> [global]
> blocksize=4m
> filesize=12m
> nrfiles=20000
> openfiles=1
> file_service_type=sequential
> create_on_open=1
> ioengine=posixaio
>
> [write]
> rw=write
>
> [read]
> stonewall
> rw=read
>
> But the issue is that the files get created with default filenames
> (write.1.1, write.1.2, etc.), so that when the read job is run, it can't
> find any files (since it expects the files to be named read.1.1, read.1.2,
> etc.).  If I try to specify the "filename=" option in either section, fio no
> longer appends the ".<thread>.<sequence>" to the filename, but rather tries
> to do all I/O to a single file.
>
> Is there a syntax for the "filename=" option that will allow me to specify a
> different root filename, but still use the ".<thread>.<sequence>" naming
> convention?  Failing that, is there any other way to accomplish my goal?
>
> Thanks for any tips, pointers, etc.
>
> --

Matthew Hayward
Director Professional Services